London 1940: As the Blitz rages and her future is threatened by fallout from the war, Agatha Christie makes the decision to kill off her most famous creation.
After twelve Poirot novels in six years, Agatha should be a rich woman. Instead, she is struggling to make ends meet: America’s financial chokehold of Britain has cut off royalties and the tax authorities in the US and UK are investigating her.
Killing her most popular character in the midst of this turmoil seems almost spiteful. But Agatha, pragmatic and resourceful as ever, has a plan: she is selling the novel of Poirot’s death to a private buyer, a superfan who will pay a fortune to own a piece of history and keep the beloved detective alive.
Fourteen years ago, Agatha met Travis Pickford, a charming grifter who transformed himself from murder suspect to ally. Who better to help broker a dubious deal than a man for whom skirting the law is career necessity? Having agreed a commission with Agatha, Travis arranges a late night exchange at an infamous London hotel.
- Alistair Petrie as Sir Malcolm Campbell
- Blake Harrison as Travis Pickford
- Daniel Caltagirone as Eli Sciacchitano
- Elizabeth Tan as Jun Lei
- Helen Baxendale as Agatha Christie
- Jacqueline Boatswain as Audrey Evans
- Jodie McNee as PC O’Hanauer
- Morgan Watkins as Rocco Vella
- Nell Lewis as Clarence Allen
- Thomas Channing as Frankie Lei
- Vanessa Grasse as Nell Lewis
- Director – Joe Stephenson
- Writer/Producer – Tom Dalton
- Exec Producer – Emily Dalton
- Producer – Carol Harding
Agatha and the Midnight Murders airs Wednesday, October 7, 2020 on Channel 5 at 9pm