In this special 60th ANNIVERSARY WEEK three one hour episodes will bring stories to a gripping climax and launch new ones to take us into 2021 and beyond.
With Yasmeen on trial charged with Geoff’s attempted murder, this week will see the end of her trial. Will justice be done or is the nightmare only just beginning for Yasmeen and Alya?
Meanwhile, Adam and Carla battle to keep the shameful secret that will ruin their lives and those around them. Nothing stays quiet for long in soaps though and as the week progresses the truth about what they have done threatens to destroy them.
At the centre of the anniversary week drama is of course Coronation Street itself as the residents unite to save the cobbles from the dastardly dealings of Ray Crosby. Having bought up most of the property and businesses in the area, Ray is ready to flatten the lot to make way for his new development. As the bulldozers arrive on the cobbles the race is on to save Britain’s most famous street and will Kevin find out the truth about Debbie’s part in it all?
Wednesday December 9th
GEOFF TAKES THINGS TO ANOTHER LEVEL The fall out from the trial verdict reverberates around the street and Geoff and Alya lock horns once more. Geoff attacks Alya at Speed Daal before sloshing lighter fluid around number 6 and setting it alight. With Alya following him to the house a dramatic rooftop stand off ensues, has Geoff got his ultimate revenge on the Nazirs?
CAN THE RESIDENTS SAVE THE STREET? After a night camping outside the brewery, the residents celebrate halting the progress of the bulldozer. But their joy is short-lived when a massive long-arm digger turns up. In a bid to make peace with Abi, Kevin contacts a councillor friend to alert him to the brewery’s application for listed status. Debbie phones Ray in a panic. The protestors are outraged as Ray’s men start to dismantle their camp. As Ken stands in the bulldozer’s path Abi jumps into the cab of the digger but loses control of the long arm, which smashes down on a nearby substation, knocking out all the power in the surrounding streets. Kevin is baffled as to how Ray got wind of their plans – is the game up for Debbie? In the Bistro a flattered Faye puts aside any misgivings and agrees to join Ray for a drink in the office
WILL PETER REALISES THE EXTENT OF CARLA’S BETRAYAL? Peter is excitedly forging ahead with plans for the wedding but is concerned when Jenny mentions seeing Carla calling at Daniel’s flat and his paranoia goes into overdrive as to what she was doing there. Has Peter got the wrong end of the stick? Spotting Carla and Daniel in hushed conversation later in the Rovers, Peter furiously accuses them of being lovers. What will Daniel and Carla say?
SAM REACHES OUT TO LEANNE Leanne assures Toyah she needs a fresh start in France, away from reminders of Oliver. Natasha brings Sam to see Nick to apologise for gatecrashing Oliver’s memorial. They are shocked to hear that Leanne’s left him and is moving away. Sam decides to try and intervene and sends a message from Nick’s phone.
- Written by Jan McVerry
- Directed by Neil Alderton, John Anderson and Nickie Lister
- Alex Bain as Simon Barlow
- Alison King as Carla Connor
- Barbara Knox as Rita Tanner
- Ben Price as Nick Tilsley
- Chris Gascoyne as Peter Barlow
- Christopher Jordan as Mark Rothwell
- Colson Smith as Craig Tinker
- David Neilson as Roy Cropper
- Ellie Leach as Faye Windass
- Georgia Taylor as Toyah Battersby
- Ian Bartholomew as Geoff Metcalfe
- Ian Curely as Foreman
- Jack P Shepherd as David Platt
- Jane Danson as Leanne Battersby
- Jimmi Harkishin as Dev Alahan
- Joe Duttine as Tim Metcalfe
- Jude Riordan as Sam Blakeman
- Mark Frost as Ray Crosby
- Maureen Lipman as Evelyn Plummer
- Melanie Hill as Cathy Matthews
- Michael Le Vell as Kevin Webster
- Micky Dacks as Workman
- Mollie Gallagher as Nina Lucas
- Patti Clare as Mary Taylor
- Peter Gunn as Brian Packham
- Rachel Leskovac as Natasha Blakeman
- Rob Mallard as Daniel Osbourne
- Sair Khan as Alya Nazir
- Sally Ann Matthews as Jenny Connor
- Sally Carman as Abi Franklin
- Sally Dynevor as Sally Metcalfe
- Samuel Robertson as Adam Barlow
- Shelley King as Yasmeen Metcalfe
- Sue Devaney as Debbie Webster
- Sue Nicholls as Audrey Roberts
- Tina O’brien as Sarah Barlow
- Trevor Michael Georges as Ed Bailey
- William Roache as Ken Barlow
Unmissable Coronation Street airs 7.30pm on ITV.
Also Tonight: Queens Of The Street at 9.00pm on ITV.
We mark 60 glorious years of Coronation Street, the world’s longest-running soap, with a celebration of the women who have ruled the roost in Weatherfield since the very first episode in December 1960.
With the help of some of the Street’s most famous female faces, past and present, including Julie Hesmondhalgh, Sally Lindsay, Helen Worth, Alison King, Sue Nicholls, Sally Dynevor, Kate Ford, Dolly-Rose Campbell and Patti Clare amongst others, Coronation Street’s longest-serving resident William Roache, writers, producers and celebrity fans including Sir Derek Jacobi and Lorraine Kelly, we salute the First Ladies of Coronation Street from every decade – their strength, their vulnerability and their humour.
With exclusive backstage access we also take you behind the scenes to reveal exactly what it takes to get a staggering six episodes of the show onscreen every week, and what it is about Coronation Street that has produced such amazing talent over the years including Suranne Jones and Sarah Lancashire.