Family drama meets thriller in this gripping series about deeply buried secrets and their unintended consequences.
In the aftermath of her husband’s tragic death, Val Ahern (Dervla Kirwan) investigates what might have happened in the hours after he caused chaos at her birthday party by announcing their planned break up. Re-examining the life of the man she was married to for 30 years, Val explores Denis’s complex and damaged relationships with his daughters, step-daughter and brother. The deeper Val delves into previously hidden family secrets, the more she realises how much Denis’s controlling, manipulative behaviour affected each member of her family. And she faces the shocking realisation that one of them might have been driven to murder.
Episode One: Val’s birthday party should be a happy occasion, but the shock announcement that Val and Denis are separating divides the family. The family unit fractures further when Val’s daughter goes missing and her husband suddenly dies, but was it an accident, suicide, or perhaps even murder?
- Created and Written by Kate O’Riordan
- Director – Dathai Keane
- Ayoola Smart as Cathy Cregan
- Carrie Crowley as Mairead Noon
- Conor Mullen as Frank Ahern
- Dervla Kirwan as Val Ahern
- Eanna Hardwicke as Joe Ryan
- Elijah O’Sullivan as Jacob Dwyer
- Gemma-Leah Devereux as Anna Ahern
- Hazel Doupe as Ingrid Jensen
- Hilary Rose as Alanna Hutchins
- James O’Donoghue as Calum Dwyer
- Justine Mitchell as Elaine Lynch
- Lochlann Ó Mearáin as Rory Dwyer
- Michael Patric as Sgt. Paudie Manning
- Niamh Walsh as Jenny Ahern
- Nigel Mercier as Ned Hutchins
- Seána Kerslake as Grace Ahern
- Stuart Graham as Denis Ahern
- Thomas Levin as Carl Jensen
Smother begins on Alibi at 9pm with part 2 following at the same time tomorrow